Welcome to our Week 17 live file, where we’re tracking everything you need to know about Sunday’s games and beyond. Three of the NFL’s 12 playoff spots remain up for grabs, but even for teams out of the race, the last day of the regular season will have implications across the league.
3:06 p.m. ET
I hope you don’t have Travis Kelce on your fantasy team. Or Tyreek Hill. They’re among the healthy players the Chiefs have scratched from their meaningless regular-season finale against the Broncos. What’s done is done.
2:55 p.m. ET
Can the Browns avoid an 0-16 season?
They’re down to one half to get their first (and only) victory of the season. If they can’t do it against the Steelers’ JV team, then they deserve to join the 2008 Lions as the only teams in league history to go winless in a 16-game season. A loss today would make them a cool 1-31 in two seasons under coach Hue Jackson.
2:41 p.m. ET
The Patriots are 30 game minutes away from clinching home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. They lead the Jets 21-3 at the half. Meanwhile, the Steelers’ JV squad hasn’t put away the Browns yet. (Pittsburgh leads 21-14 at halftime.) A Patriots win or a Steelers loss — or both — would give New England the top seed.
For a moment it was a little more up in the air, but at halftime the Patriots are now up to a 99% chance to earn the No. 1 seed in the AFC. pic.twitter.com/DgAVHeBngQ
— Seth Walder (@SethWalder) December 31, 2017
2:39 p.m. ET
The Giants just don’t know what’s good for ’em. When you’re out of the playoff race, Week 17 is about draft position. End of story.
At halftime, the Giants’ chance to earn the No. 2 overall pick is down to 50.2%, with the Colts at 49.8%.
2:25 p.m. ET
I was sooooooo close.
— Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) December 31, 2017
1:55 p.m. ET
The Vikings entered Sunday with a 99.6 percent chance to earn the NFC’s No. 2 seed according to ESPN’s Football Power Index, and they’re doing their best in the early going to make it 100 percent. It’s a 14-0 lead over the Bears in Minneapolis after two one-yard touchdowns by tailback Latavius Murray. A victory guarantees the Vikings will have a first-round bye in the playoffs.
1:50 p.m. ET
Ugh. I’m not sure what to make of Nick Foles‘ tuneup for the playoffs. In one quarter of play, the Eagles’ quarterback completed 4-of-11 passes for 39 yards and an interception against the Cowboys. Backup Nate Sudfeld has replaced him and presumably will play the rest of the way.
But suffice to say, Foles didn’t do much to reverse concerns about his ability to lead Philadelphia to the Super Bowl in place of Carson Wentz.
1:35 p.m. ET
It’s official. Linebacker James Harrison has gotten actual snaps in his first game with the Patriots. Harrison, as you can see, has remained his usual quirky self since leaving the Steelers.
As the Patriots lined up along the sideline for the national anthem, James Harrison stood alone by the bench. pic.twitter.com/X2hPth5aTz
— Zack Cox (@ZackCoxNESN) December 31, 2017
1:05 p.m. ET
Huh. Wow. I’m shocked that so many people showed up to see whether the Giants will get the No. 2 overall pick in the 2018 draft. A loss to Washington would clinch it.
Opening kickoff at MetLife Stadium for Giants vs. Redskins in what could be Eli Manning’s last game with the team. Those here did give Manning a nice cheer before his first pass went to Marquis Bundy.
12:15 p.m. ET
The Chargers need a win and some help to reach the playoffs. ESPN’s FPI gives them a 76 percent chance of defeating the Raiders today.
AFC wild card chances:
— Seth Walder (@SethWalder) December 31, 2017
Home-field advantage also remains up for grabs in the AFC, but the FPI gives the Steelers only a 7 percent chance of earning the No. 1 seed with Ben Roethlisberger not starting. The Patriots have a 93 percent chance of beating the Jets to wrap up the top seed.
12:05 p.m. ET
Notable inactives from the 1 p.m. ET games:
Official Week 17 statuses:
DeAndre Hopkins: Inactive
James White: Inactive
Chris Hogan: Inactive
James Harrison: Active
Le’Veon Bell: Inactive
Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Inactive
Jay Ajayi: Inactive
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) December 31, 2017
10:45 a.m. ET
Of course, the final day of the regular season isn’t just about the games — or even the playoffs. It’s also about the usual blitz of coaching changes that take place when the curtain closes.
Here’s what we can tell you at this point, based largely on the reporting of ESPN’s Adam Schefter:
The Raiders are reportedly ready to throw the franchise at former coach Jon Gruden, who is currently ESPN’s Monday Night Football analyst. How badly do the Raiders want Gruden to replace Jack Del Rio? Owner Mark Davis could offer Gruden an ownership take to return to the field. In NFL circles, that’s the deepest kind of love.
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is likely to step away, but he had not informed the team of his plans as of this morning.
The Colts are likely to part ways with coach Chuck Pagano.
Vance Joseph faces increasingly longer odds of returning for a second season in Denver.
In a surprise to some, the Texans are expected to bring back coach Bill O’Brien. Other “hot-seat” coaches who have been reported as likely to return next season: the Jets’ Todd Bowles, the Buccaneers’ Dirk Koetter and the Redskins’ Jay Gruden.
10 a.m. ET
Good morning and welcome to Week 17 in the NFL! We explained the full playoff scenarios in this post, but here’s a quick rundown of today’s important games.
Early window (1 p.m. ET):
Late window (4:25 p.m. ET):