Winter does have advantages — namely, it offers infinite excuses for the (perhaps secret) homebody to stay put, guilt free. One might think of Thanksgiving as a nationally sanctioned day to never get off the couch, except to make it to the dining room. Here, some chic things for lounging like a pro.
The Robe Upgrade
When Racil Chalhoub introduced her line of modern tuxedos in London in 2015, they were quickly snapped up by Net-a-Porter, Matches Fashion, Selfridges and others. The label’s velvet robes have the same luxe sophistication, and while they look plenty nice in an evening outfit, they’d be ever so chic over pajamas.
Racil velvet robe, $676 at Matches Fashion; matchesfashion.com.
The Essential Sweats
Any seasoned lounger needs a solid pair of cashmere sweatpants. These from Everlane are made from 100 percent Mongolian cashmere, and they’re priced accessibly enough that even slackers without a trust fund can enjoy them.
Everlane cashmere sweatpants, $140 at everlane.com.
A Finnish Label to Know
Scandinavians are serious about lounging, so much so that they’ve invented a vocabulary for it. The Danes have “hygge,” a word used to describe the act of getting cozy, and the Finns have “kalsarikannit,” which means, roughly, enjoying a glass of wine in your underwear. It probably shouldn’t surprise, then, that the Finnish knitwear label Arela, run by Maija Arela and her two daughters, has created cashmere socks expressly for sleeping. They suggest you don’t wear them with shoes (or walk in them, for that matter).
Arela cashmere socks, $112 at arelastudio.com.
When a luxury pajama label teams up with an outdoorsy lifestyle brand that’s beloved by campers and urbanites, it’s a recipe for maximum coziness. Slumberland, a collaboration between Sleepy Jones and Best Made Company, includes a robe, a hot-water bottle (and cover) and a blanket, all in a custom weave merino wool and cotton. It’s everything you need for a good winter night in.
Slumberland hot-water bottle and cover, $78 at bestmadeco.com.
A Sweater That Shines
Somewhere between a schlubby basic and a going-out top lies the sparkly sweater. It says, “I value comfort but still like to party.”
Marc Jacobs paillette sweater, $297 at Neiman Marcus, neimanmarcus.com.
House Republican Apologizes for Explicit Photo
- Representative Joe Barton of Texas said he was reconsidering his political future after the image was anonymously posted on Twitter.
- The photo set off waves of speculation in Texas and Washington, where sexual harassment charges are roiling Capitol Hill.
Trump Organization Is Exiting From Troubled SoHo Hotel
- A restaurant has closed and room rates have been slashed at the Trump SoHo in New York, which has had trouble attracting guests.
- The president’s company has negotiated an exit.
Who We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Weinstein
After Annabella Sciorra told her story about Harvey Weinstein, I watched her work again — and wondered what might have been.
Sweeping Plan Would Overturn Equal Access to the Internet
- The Federal Communications Commission plans to scrap net neutrality rules requiring broadband providers to give consumers equal access to all content on the internet.
- The move clears the way for companies to charge more and block access to some websites, representing a victory for broadband and telecom companies like AT&T and Comcast.
100 Notable Books of 2017
The year’s notable fiction, poetry and nonfiction, selected by the editors of The New York Times Book Review.
Tim Wu: Why the Courts Will Have to Save Net Neutrality
The F.C.C. has overplayed its legal hand.